Friday, January 2, 2009

A bird named Teeth

We had an interesting adventure today. Beginning yesterday, we heard what sounded like some small animal crawling around inside the dryer hose. Since Friday is a laundry day for me, and I didn't want to run the dryer in case whatever was in there was stuck in there and end up killing it and having a dead animal in my dryer hose, we called maintenance this morning to see if they could come help with our pest problem.

Well, a couple hours went by so we finally decided to take matters into our own hands. We moved the dryer a bit and got some bags hoping to disconnect the hose and trap the animal in the bag. We waited until we could hear it, then Jud took the hose off and put the bag over it. Nothing happened and we weren't sure where it was. I grabbed a flashlight so we could look down the hose and low and behold, there were not one but TWO birds in our dryer hose! During this whole process, of course, both Josh and Will were right by our sides completely fascinated with what was going on. When Josh found out it was a bird, he immediately named it "Teeth." He only came up with one name but referred to both of the birds by that name. Don't ask me how he came up with that name.

All of a sudden, one of the birds flew out loose into our house. It flew into the dining room, crashed into the wall, and then flew over to the window in the living room. We were eventually able to coax it out the window. Let's just say the boys were half scared and half completely fascinated by the fact a bird was in our house. The second bird was more timid. We had to get it out of the hose by turning on the dryer and blowing it out. Jud caught that one (he was wearing gloves) and let that one out as well.

For at least the next half hour Josh talked constantly about Teeth the bird and how wonderful of a dad Jud is for helping the bird go home. It was quite the adventure today, one that I don't think the boys, especially Josh, will forget any time soon!

2 comments:

Di said...

That is crazy! Luckily Jud was home. I would flip out.

Our Little Family said...

What a crazy adventure! I think I would be a little too freaked out to try and do it myself, what if it were a snake or angry squirrel or something? I dunno, you guys are BRAVE!

And how cute that Josh was so proud of Jud! He is so thoughtful!